1956 – Rugeley Power Station A
Construction of the A station started in 1956.
The station’s generating sets were commissioned between 1961 and 1962.
The station was the first joint venture between the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) and the National Coal Board (NCB).
The station took coal directly from the neighbouring Lea Hall Colliery by conveyor belt. This was the first such arrangement in Britain. The colliery was put into production some 6 months before the first generating unit was commissioned in the power station.
The first of the five cooling towers to be completed at Rugeley in 1960 was the world’s first large dry cooling tower, and the first large scale experiment with a design aimed at eliminating water loss. On occasions this tower was used by the RAF for parachute development. Rugeley A was also the first power station in Britain to be controlled entirely from a central control room. The total cost of building it was £30 million.
Construction of Rugeley Power A Station was completed.
The station was officially opened on 1 October 1963 by Lord Robens of Woldingham and Sir Christopher Hinton.
Construction of Rugeley Power B Station was started.
Rugeleley Power B Station was completed.
Unit 6 was in Service: 9th Jan
Unit 7 was in Service: 15th Oct
Up to May 1984 Unit 7 (Rugeley B Power Station) recorded the longest unbroken run for a 500mw unit of 6587.5 hours (approx 9 months)
Privatisation of the industry and the introduction of the Electricity Pool in 1990 resulted in Rugeley Power Station becoming part of National Power
Low nox burners were fitted at Rugeley Power B Station.
On 18th Jan 1996 Rugeley Power B Station was accredited with ISO 14001.
During 1996 Rugeley Power A Station was closed.
Also in July of 1996 Rugeley Power Station was acquired by Eastern Generation (part of the American Hanson Group.
During 1999 Rugeley Power Station was acquired by Texas Utilities (TXU Euroope).
The Control Room was upgraded to a computer based control system.
In 2001 the UK saw the introduction of NETA (New Electricity Trading Arrangements).
In July of the same year Rugeley Power Station was acquired by International Power.
The construction of FGD (Flue Gas Desulphurisation) started.
See our Projects page for more information.
In December 2007 Rugeley Power Station was accredited with ISO 18001.
On 6th November 2009 the FGD Plant (Flue Gas Desulphurisation) was officially opened by Mr Phil Cox, CEO of International Power Plc.
In Feb 2011 International Power and GDF SUEZ Energy International combine.